Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Just like the movies

"I was waiting for a cross-town train in the London Underground
When it struck me that I've been waiting since birth to find
A love that would look and sound like a movie"
- "Clark Gable"
The Postal Service

While taking a Journalism class in college, we were asked to pen a paper about ourselves, and how media (in all forms) affected our lifestyle and personality. At the time, I was an avid fan of the tv show "Party of Five", and was completely enamored with Bailey and Sarah's relationship. It was, at one point, the relationship I dreamed of.
Many of my favorite movies are of the relationship and True Love against-all-odds variety, including "Love Story", "A Walk to Remember", "The Notebook" and "When a Man Loves a Woman." The harder the circumstances are to overcome, the more "real" the love and subsequent relationship seems.
I was watching my new show du jour on DVD last night, "One Tree Hill", during which two of the main characters married. Now mind you, the two characters are Juniors in high school, which leads any person to be cynical - this could never happen the way it did on TV. When Haley and Nathan first met, he was a pompous jock with an attitude; she, a quiet, studious girl who volunteered as his tutor. Again, two people embarking on an against-all-odds relationship. Watching this allowed me to suspend all disbelief - after all, who marries during their Junior year of high school, and when could it ever work? Regardless, I found myself feeling wistful for a love like that - a love that can only be found in the movies.
Does love really exist like it does in the movies? Is there really love which can overcome any set of circumstances? And if you find it, can it last?

No comments: