Monday, April 10, 2006

Our Song

"And you can tell everybody this is your song
It may be quite simple but now that it's done
I hope you don't mind I hope you don't mind that I put down in words
How wonderful life is while you're in the world"
- "Your Song"
Elton John

I prefer guys who are tall...at least 6 foot. The taller, the better. I like dark short hair, blue eyes, lanky physiques, Banana Republic wardrobes.
I like athletic guys, who like to read and write, and who share my taste in music.
I have always considered taste in music as a barometer when I meet people. Simply asking a person who his favorite band is, what his favorite song is, or what the best concert he has seen generally points me towards his personality and interests...at least the stereotypes of them!
Finding people who like the same music as me is generally not simple. Although I have dated a number of people who like my favorite band (The Cure), I have been smart about one thing - I take care to associate no Cure songs with any person I date or relationship I am in.
It is always fun to have "your songs" -- songs that remind you of your significant other, or the times you spend together. These songs are not always chosen - sometimes they are popular at the time, or you hear one on the radio while you are together. While you are dating, these songs make you smile, and remind you of all that is good in your world. The lyrics, no matter how poorly they are penned, remind you of that certain someone.
Then you break up, go your separate ways.
Every time you hear "that song", you will think of him.
My first boyfriend mostly listened to punk and hardcore music, music which I enjoyed, but I would not say that any of those songs reminded me of him. Rather it was the popular songs that I heard on Vh1 every morning, getting dressed for school.
Thankfully, upon breaking up, the only songs I had to remove from my mental playlist were that Aerosmith song from "Armageddon", "I'll Be" by Edwin McCain, and "Iris" by the Goo Goo Dolls. We had never "designated" any of these as "our song", yet they all brought on memories of him, and still do, many years later.
The lesson being? Date a guy with polar taste in music. If the chips don't fall right, you won't be stuck travelling down memory lane every time you hear a song you love. Rather, you can be grateful that his taste in music sucks, and turn it off!

No comments: