Thursday, February 08, 2007

A Book You Should Read

I am somewhat religious; I am somewhat spiritual. I am a total sucker for self-help books, although I never follow their advice.

Years ago, while poring through the books in Urban Outfitters, I stumbled upon a treasure in their collection - a little bright orange book entitled - "How to Be Happy, dammit" (subtitle: a cynic's guide to spiritual happiness).

I bought it because I found the title funny and I liked the layout of the book - it's colorful, pop-arty, and a quick read. It soon became one of my favorite books, and honestly, is one of the best roadmaps for life. I try to read it every few months, but generally find that I read it when I am down, feeling like the answers just aren't there.

Here are some of my favorite parts:
You always have a choice of emotional responses to life.

Happiness is not about what happens to you, but how you choose to respond to what happens.

You must always leave hope that all has happened for good cause.

Never go shopping for kiwis in a shoe store. Some people just don't what you need. So why waste time, banging on their doors, ringing their bells, demanding service?

If you keep doing what you've always been doing, then you'll keep getting what you've always been getting.

Your faith determines your destiny. So you must make sure that your faith remains stronger than your mood.

When you let go of unnecessary attachments, you pick up speed in heading toward your true goals.

Letting go and climbing up to higher life levels, means building new emotional muscles. And just like with all muscle growth, you will always feel the pain before you see the growth.

Love is what you're always looking for in all the things you're looking for.

Some days really suck. That goes without saying. Today in particular was one of those days, when it felt like the whole world was coming down on me. I drudged through the whole day, waiting for it to end.

Then I remembered something important - I have control over that. I just need to wake up and believe that the choices I am making are the best ones (even when they hurt like hell or really seem to suck) and that I am choosing happiness...at least for that moment.

Tomorrow will be a better day.

No comments: