Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Guilty Pleasure #34

Guilty pleasures, I have many. To name a few: television shows on the CW, Top 20 on 20 XM, Perez Hilton, iced caramel macchiatos, Sour Patch Kids ... and most recently, Missed Connections on Craigslist.

I, for many years, was a Craigslist rookie. I've never found an apartment on there, I've never (successfully) bought or sold a concert ticket from there and I've never looked for my future life partner in their Personals. I blame Jayme for introducing me to "Best of Craigslist," the section which highlights the most entertaining posts on the site, as nominated by readers. You could read this section for days and it will never get old - case in point: Seeking Adult Drunk Clown for 30th Birthday party.

My new addiction is Missed Connections. Here is the premise: you and I are riding the subway together. Perhaps we exchange some small talk; I get off at Union Square. Upon exiting, I think to myself, "I should have given him my number! I may have missed my chance." In hopes of finding said man from subway, I post a "Missed Connection" on Craigslist. Whether or not this has ever worked for anyone has yet to be seen.

Some of the posts bewilder me, like this one. Hello? Why don't you just go back, introduce yourself and ask her out. It shouldn't be that hard. Others make more sense, like this one. However, if he really did see her twice, he should have gone for it the second time. Some are truly entertaining - I love the last line in this one. Others are downright creepy (although this one is kinda funny ...)

Check it out for yourself - hey, maybe you're that girl who was in line at Whole Foods carrying the pink purse. You just never know.

No comments: